Skip to main content

Democracy I

Tomorrow is the big day. Action packed for me certainly. I begin my days as usual at around 630-700 am. Get to office by 800 am, ready for the first class, of which I have an exam tomorrow morning. Open books, open notes---ie may not be so easy. Then another dense dose of quantum mechanics. Finally, I think I will take some time out to go vote! Exercise my right as a citizen of this democratic country.

Had a discussion, somewhat heated, with my brother on iChat today. He told me of his intentions to vote for neither the Democratic or Republican candidate. Instead he will vote for Nader. I was at first somewhat appalled at his choice, but later he explained the following. He was fed up with both Bush and Kerry. Nader, however, has been sticking to his principles since he began his political career. Always opposed the war. Thus, his vote for Nader is a matter of exercising his right to voice displeasure with the two main candidates, their campaigns, and the political system in general. Although I am not so sure it is better to go to a many party system (that is more suited to a parliamentary government in my opinion), among other things where I differ from his point of view, I do respect his decision. Plus, NY is going to Kerry anyway. So though his vote likely won't change things, he sticks to his principles. That's what democracy is all about.

We'll soon see what happens tomorrow. God help us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M's first art installation

My son and I went exercising at the gym this morning (Feb. 2, 2019). We had physical and mental workouts, and I was full of pride to see him put together this exhibit. He called it, "Train." The work is abstract, with the cone symbolizing the engine and the ball can be pictured as "balls of steam" that roll out of the chimney or exhaust system! Train

3D metal printing

I've worked with stainless steel in the machine shop, and it isn't exactly the easiest metal to drill or lathe. So to be able to print it, wow. Another interesting company is Shapeways. Here's a video (not metal printing in this case though).

Mr. 郭

There's been a recent controversy in Taiwan over the scandalous writings of the government information officer, 郭冠英, stationed in Toronto. Here's an op-ed piece from Taipei Times. I agree with Mr. Cole that although freedom of speech is guaranteed and necessary in a democratic country, once you are employed in the government, there should be limitations to what can and cannot be said. The writings of Mr. Kuo, even though posted anonymously, breaks the trust that the public has in him as an official representative of Taiwan in Toronto, and is a breach of his responsibility to the citizens of the land of Taiwan. Frankly, I think Mr. Kuo's an idiot. ***** He said it'd be OK to kill my wife By J. Michael Cole 寇謐將 Thursday, Mar 26, 2009, Page 8 We met when I worked as an intelligence officer in Canada, part of an organization that at times risked making racism and hatred for the “other” — in that case, mostly Arabs and Muslims — a normal policy. After nearly three years in t...