Skip to main content

Noodles! and Movies.

In the last few months several well known figures in the literary/movie business passed away (see here). Louis Cha in particular was a giant known for his set of kung-fu novels, that, according to some well known members of academia, was a pre-requisite for studying any of the hard sciences (such as physics).

In their honor, since kung-fu novels and movies have been a part of my upbringing (in probably a large proportion of other people in my generation as well), I went in search of a lunch spot with soupy noodles, not quite HK style but similar, and definitely with an older, more traditional Asian decor and flair.



By the way, the yearly Golden Horse Movie Awards are coming 'round, maybe something worth watching?

Addendum : This post was originally written in mid-November of 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M's first art installation

My son and I went exercising at the gym this morning (Feb. 2, 2019). We had physical and mental workouts, and I was full of pride to see him put together this exhibit. He called it, "Train." The work is abstract, with the cone symbolizing the engine and the ball can be pictured as "balls of steam" that roll out of the chimney or exhaust system! Train

3D metal printing

I've worked with stainless steel in the machine shop, and it isn't exactly the easiest metal to drill or lathe. So to be able to print it, wow. Another interesting company is Shapeways. Here's a video (not metal printing in this case though).

Mr. 郭

There's been a recent controversy in Taiwan over the scandalous writings of the government information officer, 郭冠英, stationed in Toronto. Here's an op-ed piece from Taipei Times. I agree with Mr. Cole that although freedom of speech is guaranteed and necessary in a democratic country, once you are employed in the government, there should be limitations to what can and cannot be said. The writings of Mr. Kuo, even though posted anonymously, breaks the trust that the public has in him as an official representative of Taiwan in Toronto, and is a breach of his responsibility to the citizens of the land of Taiwan. Frankly, I think Mr. Kuo's an idiot. ***** He said it'd be OK to kill my wife By J. Michael Cole 寇謐將 Thursday, Mar 26, 2009, Page 8 We met when I worked as an intelligence officer in Canada, part of an organization that at times risked making racism and hatred for the “other” — in that case, mostly Arabs and Muslims — a normal policy. After nearly three years in t...