Skip to main content

Goin Green..

I took a step towards a greener future by biking to lab today. Here's the route I took. It's four miles, which took roughly 25 minutes. I think I like it.


View Larger Map

On another note, tomorrow is the NC primaries. After much deliberation with myself, I've decided to vote Obama! I want to make clear that I am not now a "believer." Earlier in the year, I had leaned towards Clinton. This was for several reasons.

1) I reasoned that given the history of the US, the gender barrier seemed a much harder hurdle than the racial (in this case, black vs. white) barrier. Consider for example, that black men could vote before white women. This speaks a lot of the psychology of the "majority"; their guilt over slavery moved them to grant blacks some rights, but they never for once considered the rights of women until the suffrage movement. I also just think that a less testosterone fueled White House would do America some good.

2) I still think Clinton has a better chance of beating McCain. Although black men were granted legal rights to vote after the Civil War, it took the Civil rights movement of the '60s for African Americans to truly gain footing socially in America. So again, this points to a peculiarity of the "majority," that in the end, they'd still rather take their wives to the country club than friends who are men of color.

But Clinton has too much baggage, and I think one political dynasty is already enough. The final chip that sealed the deal for me is the inevitability of Obama, considering the total number of delegates behind him. The Democratic party has got to stop infighting and move on.

But I want to come back to why I'm not a "believer." Let's put it this way, with his "Yes we can" slogan and calls to "change Washington," Obama's either setting himself up for a major let-down, or he's really going to get it done. Given the way politics works, just look at Taiwan over the last eight years, what's the probabilities for these possible outcomes? What I'm saying is Obama never sold me his story. But I'm willing to give him the chance to prove me wrong. It's better to aim high and hit a little lower, than not aim high at all.

So I'm supporting Obama, but with a real healthy dose of skepticism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M's first art installation

My son and I went exercising at the gym this morning (Feb. 2, 2019). We had physical and mental workouts, and I was full of pride to see him put together this exhibit. He called it, "Train." The work is abstract, with the cone symbolizing the engine and the ball can be pictured as "balls of steam" that roll out of the chimney or exhaust system! Train

3D metal printing

I've worked with stainless steel in the machine shop, and it isn't exactly the easiest metal to drill or lathe. So to be able to print it, wow. Another interesting company is Shapeways. Here's a video (not metal printing in this case though).

Mr. 郭

There's been a recent controversy in Taiwan over the scandalous writings of the government information officer, 郭冠英, stationed in Toronto. Here's an op-ed piece from Taipei Times. I agree with Mr. Cole that although freedom of speech is guaranteed and necessary in a democratic country, once you are employed in the government, there should be limitations to what can and cannot be said. The writings of Mr. Kuo, even though posted anonymously, breaks the trust that the public has in him as an official representative of Taiwan in Toronto, and is a breach of his responsibility to the citizens of the land of Taiwan. Frankly, I think Mr. Kuo's an idiot. ***** He said it'd be OK to kill my wife By J. Michael Cole 寇謐將 Thursday, Mar 26, 2009, Page 8 We met when I worked as an intelligence officer in Canada, part of an organization that at times risked making racism and hatred for the “other” — in that case, mostly Arabs and Muslims — a normal policy. After nearly three years in t...